expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, August 19, 2016

The Continental Congress: As Told by George Wilson

No, I think we should send that letter to the king!” I said. “Yeah!!” Shouted most of the rest here in the Pennsylvania State House.

Oh, Hello! My name is George Wilson and I am a delegate in the Continental Congress representing North Carolina. Right know we're discussing whether to send a letter of grievances to the King or not. I think it's pretty unanimous that we will be. But let me take you back to where it started.”

It started around two weeks ago, I received a letter from John Adams saying that there was going to be a gathering of all 13 colonies in two weeks. (It ended up only being 12 because Georgia needed British troops for fighting Indians) Anyway where was I? Ah yes, so I received a letter that said I was chosen to be a delegate of the fine colony of North Carolina. I was really excited about that because now I could speak for all of North Carolina in the Continental Congress. But that also put a lot of responsibility on my shoulders. But George Wilson was ready! So I made preparations, met with the other delegates of North Carolina to see what their point of views were. And we also met with a lot of the authorities from around the colony to see what the people wanted. So in ten days we were ready to leave, we said goodbye and left for Philadelphia. We arrived on the evening of the third day on the road. Philadelphia was magnificent big brick buildings, cobblestone roads, and best of all, the Pennsylvania State House! Wow! The tall spire, the length of the building, and just the grandeur of the building. Inside and out.

We arrived just in time for roll call of the different colonies' delegates. Everyone was present, other than the Georgian delegates. And a couple of other people who couldn't make it for other reasons.

The next day at nine o'clock all the delegates met for the first discussion topic, boycotting British goods. Now this was pretty much already in action throughout the colonies but there had never been an executive decision to boycott. Colonists just started one day and it spread.

So as you may have guessed already by 11:30 we took a vote. It was a unanimous vote to keep boycotting British goods until the taxes were lifted. After a break for dinner (lunch was called dinner in the old days, Editor) we met back at the State house in two hours and discussed the letter to the King. The points of view were mixed at first with 3/4ths of the delegates being in favor but the other ¼ weren't so sure. They thought that it might anger the King and Parliament even more than they already were. But others, like myself, thought differently. We thought that if we sent a calm and peaceful letter of grievances maybe the King would actually listen to us. “No, I think we should send that letter to the king!” I said. “Yeah!!” Shouted most of the delegates. “Lets vote.” said one of the delegates from Virginia. So we voted. It came out almost unanimous that we would send a petition to the King.

Now the final discussion, who would write the letter/petition? It was decided after unanimous vote once again that John Dickinson would write the letter/petition.

And that my friends is what happened at the First Continental Congress. The next day we came back to the State House and told John what the colonies wanted in the letter. We went all went back to our homes and a week and a half later went back to Philadelphia to read and edit the letter.


The End

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers